Sunday, June 27, 2010

Full Moon Meant Sleepless Night

When living at more than 4500 feet during vernal equinox, and a week or so before and after, the sunlight doesn't truly disappear until nearly an hour after official sunset. Last night, the full moon was rising at the same time. Before the moon set this AM, the sun was already up. No true darkness last night.

I wouldn't have minded so much, except that we're do for hot weather today thru Tuesday (in the 90s) and w/o AC I like to get my house cool at night. The house is passive solar; adjusting the windows and blinds works well. But that meant opening the windows. When I hit the sack, sunlight still marked the western horizon; the temp was falling into the upper 40s; moonlight streamed in the open window. I pulled on an eye pad. Annoying; it seemed that my eyeballs were sweating; I took it off. Drifted fitfully in and out of sleep, always aware of the outside light.

Around 3:30, when my body relented toward true sleep, there was moon and predawn light; that was enough to rouse one of my resident Meadowlarks. He didn't just twitter on occasion, but began energetic singing! I closed the bedroom window and pressed my best-hearing ear into the pillow. The next glance at the clock showed 5:15, and more birds had joined the chorus. I gave up. I got up. 

Wow, am I tired! 

Of course, a full moon doesn't just disappear after one night. Maybe tonight I'll be too tired to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment