Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Reader's Block

It's happening again. I pick up a book, get going for a page or two, then put it down, frustrated that I only sense jumble. Either that or I'm bothered by the size of the page margins or the font style; the content seems inane or overdrawn, or filled with too much angst; I can't get a handle on any of the characters. It's reader's block, all right. I'm in the throes of it--constantly finding fault with word choice and pacing.

I noticed this tendency on my last visit to the library where I scanned the new book shelf, looking for titles to perk my interest. I pulled out several, but since three of the books I had previously borrowed had been returned unread, I was cautious. I sat at a table and read the cover blurbs, the praise from other readers, then started on the first chapters to see if I was with it. Of eight books, only three came home with me, and of those, I've already set aside one, I'm dallying with another, and avoiding the third. I also have four eBook samples in my reader that I haven’t even attempted, and two complete downloads I started last month that I can’t seem to finish.

I'll bet professional reviewers go through this a lot and force out their comments through clenched teeth. They probably don't know their afflicted. I think I've read some of those reviews: books I found enchanting that someone panned, reviews where the acerbic comments make you bleed with the author, or where the review language is so trite and off base you wonder whether the person read the book at all.

If I have a writing deadline, I can force myself through writer's block and get something down. I pull it off. I can also defeat writer's block with exercise, a change of scenery, or having a luscious lunch at a pricey restaurant. When all else fails, I usually read.

Hmm. Could it be that a cure for my reader's block is writing? My current work-in-progress has been languishing a bit. I'll give that a try.

1 comment on original post:

C.Farrell said...
This has happened to me quite a few times this year. It's so frustrating, I seem to waste a lot of time trying to get into books only to give up and move on to something else.

Maybe subconsciously your mind is telling you it's time to write. :)

Add more comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment